Friday, April 13, 2012

So I'm Definitely A "J"

This semester in one of my interpreting classes, aptly titled "Personalities in Interpreting", we have been talking a lot about the different Myers-Briggs personality types.  If you are not familiar with them, I would highly recommend googling it and maybe figuring out what you are.  It is super helpful once you figure out what type you are because then you can understand why you do the things you do, and analyze all your friends! Anyways, I am an ISFJ. (look it up) I already knew that I was an introvert (I), but the other three letters I didn't know what those meant.  I have laughed aloud a few times this semester because of how spot on my letters are in regards to what I do.  For example...my J side.  J stands for "judging", but this is not judging as in looking down on others, but it means that I am highly organized, like order, make decisions quickly, and like to have control over my life...yeah definitely me. But I didn't realize just how much of a "J" I was until I really started doing some hardcore planning for Alaska.

I entertained the idea of actually going on a trip for about a month before I somehow ended up deciding on Alaska.  And as I mentioned in my previous post, it was a quick decision and I can't remember exactly why I chose that state.  I knew this would be my first solo trip so I didn't want to go out of the country quite yet until I knew for sure I could actually survive on my own...but I also wanted somewhere that was adventurous and far away enough that I would feel as if I was leaving the country.  So....where better than Alaska?? Which just happens to be 3,088 miles from Indianapolis.  In other words, I could get to England if I headed out the other direction. So yeah, far enough for me--for now. : ) Once I made my decision about where to actually go, my organized, "research everything, plan for everything", side jumped into overdrive! I started doing preliminary research towards the end of October. Yup, you read right. 7 months ago.  I told ya, I'm not messing around! Alaska's a big state! (2 times the size of Texas and 1/5 of the entire size of the US) I had to narrow down where I would actually be going.  So what did I do?? Head to an introvert's most cherished place, the library.

Only 3 of about 20 books I checked out

I researched everything from Juneau to Barrow and everything in between. I ultimately wanted someplace  that I could get to by car, which quickly narrowed it down to only a few cities. I also wanted someplace that I could see a little bit of everything Alaska had to offer--mountains, whales, culture, and more mountains. Anchorage it was. However...believe it or not, most of the books I read said the best thing to do in Anchorage was to leave. Huh? Really? The biggest city in Alaska and I was supposed to just say hi and leave? Turns out Anchorage is super commercialized and to see the "real Alaska" you have to get out of the city.  It just so happens that there is one of the most beautiful, most scenic highways in all of the US headed right of Anchorage into Seward and the Kenai Peninsula.  Sounded perfect to me.

After having my head in a travel book of some sort for the next 3 months, I finally had enough information to satisfy my "J" personality. Thus began the gathering of travel brochures for specific things I would want to do.  What did Anchorage have to offer? What exciting things could I do while there? Wait...you mean more research? Haha! Yup. But this was the fun part! Highlighting, circling, and tearing out anything I wanted to do! And because I am going by myself, I got to pick whatever I wanted to do! My itinerary started to come together. Slowly, but surely, I finally ended up deciding on what I wanted to see and do. (And boy was it hard, there is so much to choose from!)

Free Travel Brochures! Tip: hit up the local cities ".gov" websites and they usually have an offer for a free travel guide!
Alright, so research done, activities picked out, next logical step for organization?? Create a color-coded travel itinerary/binder. Oh yes. I went there.  


Awesome! Makes my heart smile to see those dividers. : ) I know, I know, I'm weird.  But fellow "J"'s will get me.  This is my trip bible.  I have my printed reservation confirmations, hostel/inn information, important contact information, and each day has their own section.  Also, at the back I have included pertinent medical information and a medical release form in case something were to happen while I am away from home. I will get into more detail on my itinerary later, but you get the idea of just how organized anal I am. And even though my personality does play a big part in this research and organization, I feel it is so important for me to be as prepared as possible and know as much as I can before I step foot on that plane.  Especially because I am going alone.  Knowledge is power and if I can have half the battle already won before I even start, I am guessing that will make the trip that much smoother.  We'll see... : ) 



1 comment:

  1. Hannah, you are incredible!!!! What an awesome blog post! And I LOVE your binder!!!! You are a super lovely "J"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete