Monday, April 16, 2012

Itinerary Planning, Part 1

So you all are probably wondering just what the heck I will be doing in Alaska...if not, well, too bad cause I am going to tell you anyways! My favorite part, the doing! It has been hard for me not to get to tied down to my itinerary so it will remain flexible and dependent on several factors once I get there.  I have things I want to do, but who knows? Maybe once I get there I will find things I didn't read about in the books and will completely change my plan! That's the great part about traveling solo! If I want to spend more time in one place than I originally planned, I CAN! Why? Because I am running this ship! I am captain of this adventure! : ) Tonight I will let you in on the first half of my itinerary, I will save the rest for later. :)

Day 1:

I will be leaving Indy bright and early in the morning!!! (6:55am!)

Arriving in Seattle around 10am their time...gonna have some jet lag probably since Seattle is 4 hours behind...and I am actually spending the first day of my trip in Seattle.  Really excited about checking out the mecca of foodies/urbanites everywhere!

Hope it's this clear when I am there! 
1st thing in Seattle? Attempt to ride their monorail to my hostel (which is right across the street from Pike's Place Market...be jealous. : ) ) Maybe then take a trolley tour of downtown seattle then head over to the Pike's Place Market for a food tour!! Heck yeah! 

This tour takes you around the market, sampling all sorts of foods along the way! Fresh Clam Chowder to local wine and cheese! Oh. yes.

After the awesomness that is the food tour, hopefully I will get to do some exploring and possibly a ferry ride out into Puget Sound..if time permits!

Day 2:


I will have the morning to grab some fresh local/organic breakfast and do a little shopping before boarding my plane to Anchorage.  The flight from Seattle to Anchorage is about 4 hours, I don't think I will be able to stand my excitement!

Once I get to Anchorage and hopefully haven't passed out from sheer beauty of the surroundings, I will grab my rental car, and make my way to my next hostel.  Then I will have some time to just chill and probably go to bed early...I have a feeling I will be quite tired.

Day 3:

Anchorage Farmer's Market!!! They have this every weekend in the summer and I will just happen to be there when it is going on! So excited! I hear they have reindeer jerky?


Some shopping around Anchorage and then it is off to Seward via the Seward highway, one of the most beautiful drives in all of America.  There is so much to see and do along this road, that I am planning on making a day of it and just taking my time getting down to Seward--should be fun! After getting into Seward, I will be checking out the SeaLife Center (an aquarium/rescue program for wildlife) and grabbing some fresh Salmon for dinner!

Day 4:

This is my whale-watching day! I will be taking a whale-watching tour out into the Gulf of Alaska/Kenai Fjords National Park to see glaciers, whales, sea otters, sea lions, and all other sorts of wildlife! This tour is an all day thing so that will take up most of my time, but definitely going to find some more good seafood when I get back to shore!

I hope I get to see one of these beautiful Orcas! 
So there ya go, the 1st half of what will hopefully be an awesome trip! Let me know what you think, or if I should add anything!! 31 days left! : )




1 comment:

  1. Talk about the most incredible trip ever!!! I know I should be more excited about Alaska, but that picture of Seattle is incredible!!! I hope I can see Seattle (and Alaska) in person someday too! So excited for you, CCF!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete