Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 2!!

Well, today was interesting! Before I rattle off a bunch of stuff, just want you all to know just how beautiful Alaska is...it really is indescribable. Everywhere you look there are massive, towering snow-capped mountains...literally everywhere! Anchorage seems to be in a valley, with the Chugach mountains to the east, and Mt. McKinley (the tallest mountain in North America!) to the northwest. Awesome. I can see how people could live here...breathtaking! Here is a picture of Mt. McKinley from my phone:
Alright, so here's the rundown. I had a pretty good night at the hostel--little weird sleeping in a room with 4 strangers, but whatever. Headed to the airport and realized I needed to change my itinerary for coming back to Seattle, wasn't going to make it back to the hostel in time on the way back--good practice for being flexible for what was to come...
The flight into Anchorage was beautiful! Clear skies and mountains as far as the eye could see! There was quite a bit of turbulence ...not a fan. After getting to the airport, realized there is hardly any cell phone reception, cause you guessed it, I'm in flippin' Alaska!! But, that means I can't use my phone as a GPS, which I was kind of counting on...so had to fumble my way into downtown, nearly swerving off the road multiple times after staring too long at the mountains. :) Finally arrived at my hostel, only to find it closed down for renovations!! Started to feel a bit overwhelmed, but took a deep breath and used my big girl skills! Found a map, a hotel directory and ended up getting a room right next to the harbor. (Only bad thing is in Alaska prices are crazy and ended up forking over quite a bit for the room) but the good nights rest will be worth it :) After getting settled in my hotel, headed out to get something to eat at a place called Gwennie's--recommended by a friend. It was a neat little local place that it looked like all the fisherman came to after a long day! Definitely a rustic mountain place! Food was good and had my first salmon in Alaska--awesome! Then drove around and explored a bit--found a great overlook of Denali National Park!
Super exhausted tonight! Its 10:15pm here and it's still light out!! Going to try and get some sleep for another big day tomorrow! Can't wait to post my pictures from my camera! :) <3



No comments:

Post a Comment